My First DNS (Did Not Start)

My travels to Seattle for the Rock ‘n’ Roll 5k and Half marathon events did not go as expected.  Things started out wonderfully: an on-time flight Friday night, a 5k PR Saturday morning, and a meet-up with friends.  From then on, the weekend made a turn for the worst.


It started while at the expo located at the CenturyLink Field Event Center in the heart of Seattle.  While walking around the expo, I decided to grab a Sabra hummus snack pack.  I’ve been a vegetarian for over 6 years, so eating hummus is nothing new for me. I, therefore, did not think twice when grabbing a hummus snack pack at the expo.  Sadly, soon after eating the hummus, my stomach started hurting.  This is the last picture taken of me at the expo at 1:20pm with half eaten hummus in hand.


After resting in the car for a little bit, I headed to Elysian Fields to meet up with my BibRave friends. While making the short 8 minute walk with my mom I all of the sudden said, “Wait.  I think I’m going to throw up.”  And I did.  As I was puking in the streets of downtown Seattle in the early afternoon hours, I wanted to explain to people, “No, I’m not drunk!”

After throwing up I felt much better and naively thought that it was all over. Unfortunately, while sitting at Elysian Fields with my BibRave friends, I had to rush to the bathroom in order to throw up again.  I didn’t quite make it to the toilet, but I at least made it to the bathroom trash can. (Again, I wanted to tell people, “No, I’m not puking because I’ve had too much to drink!”)


I quickly said my good-byes to my BibRavePro friends and started making my way back to the hotel to rest.  I made it about 20 minutes down the highway until I had to pull over to puke again.


I drove my mom to a nearby store so she could grab me some sprite and crackers.  While pulling out of the store’s parking lot, I rolled down my window to throw up again.  Poor car and all bystanders.

After getting back to the hotel and continuing to vomit, I finally told my mom at 8pm that I wanted to contact a doctor.  I read online that food poisoning could cause miscarriage, so at 16 weeks pregnant was worried about my baby.  After contacting a doctor on the phone via UW medicine, she recommended that I visit a local emergency room to get checked out in person.  I was in the emergency room at Overlake Medical Center from 8pm until midnight.  They hooked me up to an IV to give me some medication as well as some fluids.  They also did a thorough ultrasound to make sure baby was doing well.  Fortunately, everything checked out fine.


When I tried to get up out of the hospital bed to put my shoes on and walk out, I couldn’t.  I was so weak that my mom had to wheel me out in a wheelchair.  When I arrived back to my hotel at midnight, I threw up again.  The doctor at the hospital had told me there was no way I would be making it to the half marathon start in the morning and at this point I believed it.

All day Sunday I stayed in bed.  I slowly drank water and sprite.  I ate a few crackers, a fruit cup, and a some noodles.  Fortunately, there was no more throwing up.

On Monday, Mom and I flew back home to California.  My time in Seattle was short lived and unfortunately tainted with a bout of food poisoning.  Although I am greatly saddened that I missed my chance of completing the Rock ‘n’ Roll Half marathon and participating in the VIP experience, I am happy that I and my baby are on the mend.


Until next time,


Find me on all the socials:

Instagram    Twitter    Facebook     YouTube


Christian, wife, mom/stepmom, no meat athlete, runner, teacher

Recommended Articles

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: