Disclaimer: I received a pair of Trekz Air headphones by AfterShokz to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!
If you’ve been following my blog for a while now, you may remember when I reviewed the Trekz Titanium headphones by AfterShokz about a year ago. It was no secret that I loved my Trekz Titanium headphones. I even made a video to go along with my review! I, therefore, when given the opportunity to test out the lastest headphones by Afterhokz, the Trekz Air, jumped up and down and shouted, “Yes!”
Trekz Titanium vs. Trekz Air
Upon first glance of the two headphones, there doesn’t seem to be too much of a difference besides the color. Upon closer inspection, however, one can notice several differences. First, the Trekz Air are noticeably lighter… 20% lighter! The control section on both sides are smaller and so is the headphone connector itself. When checking out the side by side comparison at AfterShokz.com, one can see that the difference in weight is .21 ounces. This may not seem like a lot, but when you are wearing the headphones for 26.2 miles, this makes a big difference!
- Bone conduction technology delivers music through your cheekbones, ensuring ears remain completely open to hear ambient sounds
- A 20% lighter build than its counterpart [the Trekz Titanium]
- A new organic design delivers increased comfort
- Complete wraparound titanium design provides a flexible fit for unnoticeable all-day comfort and stability
- OpenFit™ design ensures maximum situational awareness and comfort during long-term wear
- PremiumPitch+™ guarantees a premium audio experience, including wide dynamic range and rich bass
- Bluetooth® v4.2 connectivity and convenient multipoint pairing [as compared to v4.1 with the Trekz Titanium]
- LeakSlayer™ technology significantly reduces natural sound leakage
- IP55 certified to repel sweat, dust and moisture, from workouts to wicked weather
- Enjoy six hours of continuous music + calls on a single charge
- EQ presets boost bass and reduce vibration on the go
- Dual noise canceling microphones exclude surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech
- Audrey Says™ voice prompts guide users through power, pair, play and talk
- Hassle-free 2-year warranty
The features in italics are the features that differ from the Trekz Titanium. As you can see, the biggest different has to do with the physical design and weight. If comfort is of high value to you, then I’d choose the new Trekz Air. Have I worn the Trekz Titanium for 26.2 miles? Yes. Am I excited to wear the Trekz Air instead? Yes.
What’s in the box?
When you purchase your own Trekz Air headphones, you’ll receive a zippered case, a set of ear plugs in a plastic case, user guide, charging cord, and of course, your new headphones.
Are the headphones waterproof?
I have worn my headphones in the rain several times. As stated earlier, I’ve also worn my headphones for 26.2 miles and I’m a sweaty runner! The Trekz Air (and the Trekz Titanium) are “IP55 certified to repel sweat, dust and moisture, from workouts to wicked weather”. Would I wear the headphones for a swim? No. But would I confidently wear the headphones in the rain? Yes!
My thoughts about the Trekz Air
Rarely will you see me at a race or on a training run without my sunglasses on. I have noticed that the Trekz Air fit more comfortably with my sunglasses than the Trekz Titanium (since both rest at the top of my ears).
I also enjoy the ability to hear my surroundings while wearing my Trekz Air headphones. I’ve had a guy jump out of some bushes before and have had money stolen out of my bag while wearing ear buds, so I know the importance of staying aware of your surroundings at all times. For those who may want to block out surrounding sounds, (like when you’re on the treadmill) Aftershokz offers ear plugs.
Being able to pause my music, advance to the next song, and answer an incoming phone call all from a push of a button on the side of my headphones is valuable to me. I no longer have to stop and pull out my phone. I am now able to enjoy uninterrupted runs!
*Don’t forget… Receive a bonus trucker hat with your AfterShokz Trekz Air purchase with code “TRUCKER” at http://bibrave.aftershokz.com/.
Read what other BibRave Pros had to say about the Trekz Air headphones.
Until next time,
Find me on all the socials: